Monday, April 03, 2006

Tortilla and Bread Recipes

I come from meat and potato loving parents. Steak is a huge treat to them. I think of steak as meat chewing gum. My all time favorite way to eat steak is cold, for breakfast. No kidding. Meat, well I can do without it. I like hamburger in stews, soups, etc. but not even by itself. I’m a fan of McDonald’s thin hamburgers. Bun, ketchup, and a little meat. It can’t get any better.:-) Okay, I don’t recommend eating at McDonald’s!
My favorite place to eat is Panera’s. I love, love bread. My recipe file is brimming full of breads, muffins, rolls, and biscuits. I pulled out a few to share.



A friend from church, Carissa, shared this recipe with me last week. I’ve been wanted to make these since tasting them fresh out of the skillet at her house. I had no idea tortillas could taste this good! The day after she left my sister Caroline made up a recipe. She will never want to eat store bought tortillas again.



Tortillas
6 cups flour
2 ¼ cup water
½ cup oil
1 tsp. salt
2-3 TB honey if desired

Knead in Bosch (or mixer) On oiled counter divide into about 20 equal sized pieces-let rest covered for 15 minutes. Heat skillet (preferably an iron skillet) to medium high heat. Roll out on a floured workplace until 1/8 thick then brown in skillet on both sides.

The key to rolling out tortillas is to not handle the dough any more than necessary.
Enjoy these warm off the skillet and fill for breakfast, lunch, or supper.


A friend gave me this recipe about 10 years ago. This is one of my favorite’s. It’s yummy and moist.

Oklahoma Bread
Cook about 3 ½ to 4 cups chopped potatoes. When soft, put in blender with 1 ½ cups of the potato water. Blend until smooth.
2 TB dry yeast (heaping)
1 tsp. honey
1 cup lukewarm water
Put in a 2 quart bowl and let rise for 10 minutes.
1 cup honey
1 cup oil
4 egg whites
4 tsp. salt (or less)
Mix and add to the potato mixture.
Start adding 12 cups whole wheat flour. Add a little at a time. Add about ½ cup and mix with a blender, then gradually add the rest while kneading. Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise (about 1 hour). Punch down and knead again for 10 minutes. Let rise (about 1 hour) Punch down and knead. Divide into pans. Let rise (about 1 to 4 hours) Butter top when warm.
Bake at 350 degrees 30- 35 minutes. Makes 6 loaves.


When this bread is baking you will be reminded of Thanksgiving dinner. The smell is wonderful as it bakes. I call it the “stuffing bread”. It’s quick, easy, and perfect as a special loaf for company.

Shepherd’s Loaf
Stir until dissolved in mixing bowl: ½ cup scalded milk, 1 TB butter, 1 ½ TB sugar or honey, 1 tsp. salt
Add to mixture: ¼ to ½ cup finely chopped onion, 1 ½ tsp Rosemary, 1 ½ tsp. dill weed or seed
Dissolve 1 pkg or 1 TB yeast into ½ cup warm water (add honey)
Mix in 2 ¼- 3 cups whole wheat flour (for a lighter bread, use part unbleached white flour.)
The batter will be sticky.
Knead the dough 10 minutes. Let rise in bowl until double in size. Punch down the dough and form into one large round loaf (or two small ones) Let rise again on oiled cookie sheet. Bake on center rack at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on rack before slicing.

No comments: