Saturday, May 13, 2006

Thanks to God

When I start to grumble because of some situation that comes my way I think of a song from Steve Green I learned when I was younger about doing all things without grumbling and complaining. Or a song by Evie (a Christian singer from the 70's) that my Mom would play for us about being grateful for the good things that you've got. Or "Bless The Lord". It amazes me how many children's songs from my childhood come to mind and help me to remember what the Word has to say! I stop to remember all the blessings and testimonies God has brought to me in sunny and dark days alike. There is no way I can stay discouraged for long. He is faithful!
My Mom shared these thoughts below on thanksgiving to God with some ladies at a church retreat.

"When we talk about prayer and thanksgiving we see that you cannot have one without. We are told in the scriptures to pray without ceasing and in everything give thanks. In order to have effectual prayers, we need to always look for the good and beautiful - even though that goes against our flesh many times.
I would like to quote from the book, The Practice of Godliness, by Jerry Bridges, on his thoughts of thanksgiving.
“The primary purpose of giving thanks to God is to acknowledge his
Goodness and honor him. He is most worthy of our praise and
Thanksgiving, especially if we are among his redeemed people.
Thanksgiving promotes not only the glory of God, but also humility
In us. It is the tendency of the sinful human heart-even the
regenerated heart-to usurp the credit that rightfully belongs only to
God.
Thanksgiving also stimulates our faith. In Psalm 50:14,15, God
Connects thank offerings with calling upon him in the day of
Trouble. Remembering God’s previous mercies encourages us to
Trust him for mercies we need today.
Finally, thanksgiving promotes contentment. Few things will stir
Up discontent within us as will our inner spiritual struggle between
The sinful nature and the Holy Spirit. Its intensity caused Paul to
Cry out, “What a wretched man I am!” But then he finds relief and
Contentment in thanksgiving to God for the deliverance promised
To us through Jesus Christ. Thanksgiving will also promote
Contentment about possessions, position, and providence by
Focusing our thoughts on the blessings God has already given,
Forcing us to stop spending our time yearning for things we do not
Have. Contentment and thanksgiving strengthen each other.”
I have written some specific things we can be thankful for:
l. The blessings of our souls if we delight in the scriptures.
2. Thankful for the great goodness of God.
3. We can be thankful that God is our support in all of our afflictions and for the times we are in the wilderness.
4. We can be thankful for God’s desire to fill us with His love.
5. We can be thankful for light being restored in these latter days.
With all of our heart, hands and voices, we can join in the chorus of thanksgiving this evening and endeavor to have thankful hearts always. "


No comments: