Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Car

Last night I was driving home in my car through rush hour traffic. All of a sudden my battery light came on along with other dashboard lights. My power steering went out, the brakes went mushy, and I could get zero power when I tried to accelerate. I was able to pull over into the right lane, put it in neutral, and cost up part of the hill in a parking lot. Since the brakes weren't working right I decided to leave it there until the tow truck came. There was just enough room for one car to get in and around my car. As a woman driving around who knows about zero concerning the mechanics of a car, I keep a Triple A membership for any occasion where I need help. The tow truck arrived shortly and brought the car and myself to a mechanic I trust. Then there was a little mix up as to who would pick me up. I was 50 minutes from home so I knew it would take a bit, but an hour and a half later with no one in sight....hmm. My brother-in-law thought my Dad was picking me up and Dad thought Sean was already on his way. I was simply frustrated to waste the evening but worse things can happen!
Overnight I was concerned I had another big car repair. I was hoping my car at 147,000 miles wasn't going to just fall apart piece by piece. I thing it is a great car and it looks nice inside and out. I really hoped it wouldn't be time to think about replaced it.
Then the mechanic called today. The embarrassing good news...I had run out of gas! My gas gauge (now proved)is not working correctly. Though it showed a quarter of a tank it was in reality sitting at complete nothing. Instead of spending $500 on a new fuel tank the mechanic told me to fill up the car at half a tank on my gauge. I felt quite stupid but was very thankful to come out with the price of a diagnostic test and car that is *mostly* working correctly.:-) At the end of the day I was still in budget and ready to roll. I couldn't be anymore thankful!

2 comments:

ertlnet said...

I did that once! I had bought a new (used) vehicle that had a handy dandy feature that told you how many miles to go before empty. Well..long story short it said I had 50 miles to go. My destination was not that far, so nothing to worry about! Wrong! Luckily some friends were following and pushed me down the hill to the gas station! They gave me a hard time about it for awhile!

Jennifer said...

Yes, there have been some laughs at my expense...I have never claimed to know anything about cars. I put the gas in and expect it to go. :-)