Friday, May 05, 2006

Sober-minded Young Men

Is it just me or does there seem to be scads of encouraging articles, books, magazines, etc. to encourage Christian young women, but there is a dearth of such materials for young men? I don’t know all the reasons for this. My sister suggested in part it could be the nature of men versus women. I suppose most young girls (and women for that matter) thrive on talking, reading, and friendships. They like communication! More girls than guys want to write the articles, letters, and so on that make all this written encouragement possible. When my sister Caroline and I were 11 and 16 a friend brought HopeChest magazine to our attention. To us it seemed we were the lone rangers in a quest for seriously desiring to grow into godly women. Suddenly we found other girls who were also seeking for a walk with Christ. New friends were found! Caroline and I both ended up with a long list of pen pals, found more magazines encouraging likeminded Christian girls to walk with Christ, books, tapes, and more. My brother on the other hand found 1 pen pal and 1 magazine that for a short time existed for the purpose of sharing thoughts on being a sober minded righteous young man. As I looked through my prayer journal this evening I found some notes I had written sometime ago as I was thinking on this.
Most women I know think of Titus 2 as “their” chapter. However, if you look at the chapter you will see 4 verses addressed to men and 3 verses addressed to women. I was reading the verses addressed to young men.
“Young men likewise exhort to be sober-minded. In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.” Titus 2: 6-8
I think I could count on 1 hand the young men I know who fit this description. I was wondering, “what man was the example of Titus 2 in scripture?” I have listed in my journal the man of God whose life testified exactly the spirit of this scripture:

The Titus 2 Example: Daniel
“It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom a hundred and twenty princes, which should be over the whole kingdom; And over these three presidents; of whom Daniel was first, that the princes might give accounts unto them, and the king should have no damage. Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm. Then the presidents and princes sought to find occasion against Daniel concerning the kingdom; but they could find none occasion nor fault; forasmuch as he was faithful, neither was there any error or fault found in him. Then said these men, We shall not find any occasion against this Daniel, except we find it against him concerning the law of his God.” Daniel 6:1-5

These enemies of God could find no fault in Daniel. High praise indeed! I hope the young men desiring soberness will find a Daniel today to be that example to them. Maybe God desires them to become that Daniel themselves!

No comments: