Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Most Beautiful Song

There is something about music that touches the soul. It can be for the good or the bad. I grew up in a musical home. My Mom, brother, sister, and I would gather around the piano to sing hymns before we started our school day. On many a Sunday afternoon we could be found around the piano singing hymns or practicing for church. My Grandpa and my Mom both loved classical music. We had many music classes where we sat listening to classical music and learned to identify the composers by their composition style. I have admired the beautiful voices of Julie Andrews, Josh Groban, Charlotte Church, and others. I know it takes a great deal of hard work and voice training to sing like an angel! However the most beautiful song I have ever heard was one that a man sung from his heart.

Mel was an elderly man who attended my grandparents church in Tampa, FL. I would talk with Mel and his wife Banita each time I was visiting my grandparents. They both were very sweet. I sang at their church each time I was there, and Mel always came to talk to me about music. One Sunday I realized Mel was going to provide the special music for the service. Granny told me she was surprised Mel would even attempt to sing. Mel was in very poor health. He had diabetes, serious heart problems, could not breath well and was on an oxygen tank. Yet Mel had a heart to praise the Lord. He wanted to sing!

At the beginning of the service Mel stood up with his oxygen tank and began singing “I Love You Lord”. It is the most beautiful song I have ever heard because watching that man you could see his heart of praise on his face. Tears were running down his cheeks. He was off key and couldn’t hold the notes but he sang that song to the end. Mel told me after the service he knew he sounded terrible but he wanted to praise God before the people he loved. I told him how much his song had meant to me. The next Sunday morning I sat down and the congregation was told Mel had died during the night. Immediately I thought of the last time I saw Mel. He was singing and sharing what the most important thing in his life was. It was Jesus Christ. The scriptures say that man looks at the outside but God looks at the heart.What a blessing to hear the voice of a beautiful heart. If I could talk to Mel again I would say thank you Mel for the blessing of hearing your singing!

No comments: