Thursday, December 06, 2007

Faith In America-Mitt Romney’s Speech

Faith In America-Mitt Romney’s Speech

This evening I watched Mitt Romney’s speech with my sister and brother-in-law. I do believe that was the best speech I have ever heard from a public official. While I don’t agree with all his statements, I was very impressed that he was willing to give a speech on religious freedom. I thought Mitt Romney was right on concerning our Founding Fathers and the intention they had for this country in religious freedom and expression. He quoted John Adams as saying, ‘We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our constitution was made for a moral and religious people.'

Mitt Romney also said, ‘"As a young man, Lincoln described what he called America's 'political religion' – the commitment to defend the rule of law and the Constitution. When I place my hand on the Bible and take the oath of office, that oath becomes my highest promise to God. If I am fortunate to become your President, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause, and no one interest. A President must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States.”

Then Mitt Romney ended his speech by saying, "The diversity of our cultural expression, and the vibrancy of our religious dialogue, has kept America in the forefront of civilized nations even as others regard religious freedom as something to be destroyed.

"In such a world, we can be deeply thankful that we live in a land where reason and religion are friends and allies in the cause of liberty, joined against the evils and dangers of the day. And you can be certain of this: Any believer in religious freedom, any person who has knelt in prayer to the Almighty, has a friend and ally in me. And so it is for hundreds of millions of our countrymen: we do not insist on a single strain of religion – rather, we welcome our nation's symphony of faith.

"Recall the early days of the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia, during the fall of 1774. With Boston occupied by British troops, there were rumors of imminent hostilities and fears of an impending war. In this time of peril, someone suggested that they pray. But there were objections. 'They were too divided in religious sentiments', what with Episcopalians and Quakers, Anabaptists and Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Catholics.

"Then Sam Adams rose, and said he would hear a prayer from anyone of piety and good character, as long as they were a patriot.

"And so together they prayed, and together they fought, and together, by the grace of God ... they founded this great nation.

"In that spirit, let us give thanks to the divine 'author of liberty.' And together, let us pray that this land may always be blessed, 'with freedom's holy light.'

My brother-in-law pointed out there must be something real about you if all 5 of your sons are willing to campaign for you.

I know there has been an outcry from some evangelical circles concerning his LDS faith, however in the present selection of presidential candidates there are some who would profess a Christian faith, yet deny the reality of standing for what is right and true in their public policy. For such a person I could never vote, it would be to deny all I believe in. I would be voting for the lesser of two evils so to speak, but none the less I would be voting for evil. I don’t know that I could call such a person himself evil, but that they are willing to uphold evil in their public office. I want to find a man to vote for who is willing to uphold (moral) truth while in public office, even if I don’t personally uphold his theological beliefs. What would you rather vote for:

1. A person who professes to be an evangelical Christian but is willing as an elected official to support abortion.

2. A man who you do not agree with theologically but who will support life as an elected official?

I for one will choose the man who will support (moral) truth in government policy.

I do not agree theologically point to point with the following men: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, or Martin Luther King to name a few. However, I do believe each of these men accomplished great good in their governmental offices or public life. I would not withhold praise for the good they brought to our nation, or ignore their faults on the basis of their theology. While I may strongly disagree with many portions of the LDS faith, I will not refuse to listen to or praise the great speech of tonight on those grounds. In the months ahead I will be watching to see if there is action that follows the words that were spoken. I would encourage anyone interested in the destiny of religious freedom in our country to listen to Mitt Romney’s speech or read the transcript.


My sister Caroline had found a new book in the library recently entitled, ‘A Mormon in the White House? 10 Things Every American Should Know About Mitt Romney’ by Hugh Hewitt. After listening to this evenings speech I think I will take the time to read it!

No comments: