Friday, December 07, 2007

Remembering Pearl Harbor

On this day 66 years ago Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japanese forces. In remembrance of this day I will repost about one of my World World II heroes, Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Admiral Chester Nimitz
A few days ago I had stopped at the library and looked through the DVD’s. I have always enjoyed studying history and one title caught my attention. It was Pearl Harbor Admiral Chester Nimitz Thunder of the Sea from the History Channel.

My great-grandpa served in the Navy and was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed by the Japanese. When I was little Grandpa told me he had brought home a piece of a plane that had exploded nearby him. I never did ask him any questions about his service in the Navy, or about the time in Pearl Harbor. I really regret that. My Mom remembers he was a faithful member of a “Survivor’s of Pearl Harbor” group. When I watched that DVD I learned more about what happened during WWII. I didn’t remember hearing about Admiral Chester Nimitz and I must say I was amazed at the character of this man. My Dad’s side of the family was career military in the Army and Air Force. So I’ve heard some things about military life. Chester Nimitz was incredibly loyal to those who served under him, kind hearted, allowed his top commanders to do their jobs while he stepped out of the way, and he was humble. I was very impressed with the life he lived! Before the war broke out he was offered a job for $25,000 a year when he made $3,000 a year in the Navy. He declined taking the job to continue serving in the Navy. After he retired from the Navy he refused to write a tell all biography for a large sum of money. He didn’t want to be writing anything that would demean or criticize the men who had served under him. Needless to say, I added him to my "hero list" and would like to read a bit more about his life. This is just one example of bravery and sacrifice to country we can remember this day.

No comments: