Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Lost Blueberry Farm

Tuesday night my Mom, Caroline, and I went to pick blueberries at a large blueberry farm. The farm was supposed to be about 1 hour away from us. That would be 1 hour if we found it. It is a long story, but best to say I got lost. Or rather I should say "love covers a multitude of sins.”:-) A sleepy unnamed someone told me to turn off on the wrong road. Seeing as I am not good at directions myself, I will take the blame for our extra 45 minutes of wandering. Poor Mosiah was looking forward to picking the blueberries. I could hear his voice behind me, "Blueberry farm. We pick." We finally gave up and drove back home.

Wednesday Caroline and I gave it another try, only this time we went to the blueberry farm near her house. If you have never gone out to pick blueberries before you don't know what you are missing! I would suggest going early in the morning, say 7:00 am, that would be the perfect time to get started. It's still cool! Fresh blueberries are delicious and it's fun to take along a friend or group of friends and visit while picking. It's best to have 2 pickers if you want a lot of berries. You want one picker and one skimmer in your blueberry excursion. Let me explain. Caroline is the skimmer. She steps up to a bush and gets all the big clusters of berries. I'm the picker. I look for all the extra ripe blueberries she missed before we head off to the next bush. Now this really isn't so important if you go to a blueberry farm with older bushes. Our reason for heading out to the new blueberry farm was due to glowing reports from friends of loaded bushes ripe for the picking with huge clusters ofberries. A blueberry heaven. Sigh. Maybe next year! Following is a blueberry recipe.This cake is one my Mom made the other day and it is so yummy that your family will eat it up in no time!

Blueberry Banana Upside-Down Cake
2 Tb., softened
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 cups fresh blueberries

Cake:
¼ cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tb vanilla
1 cup bananas
Sift together
2 cups white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Soured milk
½ cup milk
½ tsp. vinegar
OR
½ cup sour cream
Or
½ cup yogurt
Whipped topping, optional

In a small saucepan, melt 2 TB. butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread into an ungreased 9-in. baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugars, add eggs, vanilla and banana. Mix together well. Sift together the dry ingredients and blend into the creamed mixture. Gradually add soured milk or yogurt or sour cream and stir just until well-blended. Pour over blueberry mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes. Center should barely spring back when pressed, the toothpick test should come out clean, and the sides should pull away from the pan.
Cool. Serve with whipped topping if desired.

No comments: