Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Quiet Heart

I do a lot of thinking in this brain of mine. I remember a scene from a Winnie the Pooh movie. Pooh is bent over tapping his head saying, “think, think, think.” I feel that way many a day. Sometimes when you think too much about small and large things you get way too discouraged. I like to be able to see the road ahead of me. Clearly! Then comes the day I don’t know what direction to turn. I realize I need to give all up to the Lord and trust in Him. So I cast that care on the Lord but later down the road I say, “ I can’t see yet.” Then I take that burden back again. I seem to be like a child needing to learn a lesson over and over again. Through tears and discouragements the last few days I picked up a burden again, grabbed my magnifying glass, and took a good look. The trouble is I can’t see because I’m supposed to be walking by faith, not sight. What I need is a quiet heart, a heart that is stayed on Jehovah. God has not failed me, never once. How do I receive that rest? “Then called I upon the Lord, O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.” In the midst of those prayers He answers and I can say, “Return unto thy rest, Oh my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.”

God has blessed me, yes, even preserved my life. There is nothing He does not know. All are safe who trust in Him. Praise the Lord!

One thing about prayer I must remember is “not my will but your will Lord.” I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m pretty good at thinking I know what is best for my life. Many times that’s not true. God may have other plans for me, and if I’m not listening or paying attention I won’t hear His voice. Sometime ago I was reading a book that mentioned a quote from a missionary E. Stanley Jones. It read, “If I throw out a boat-hook from the boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to me, or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God.” I keep that quote in the front of my Bible and read it often.

I love the Psalms! David was a man who cried out to God from the very depths of his soul. He not only petitioned the Lord, but he also praised His name. “Oh give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him; talk ye of all his wondrous works. Glory ye in his holy name; let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord. Seek the Lord, and his strength; seek his face evermore. Remember his marvelous works that he hath done; his wonders and the judgments of his mouth.”

Think, think, think.
Pray, pray, pray.
The peace of God passes all understanding. Bless His name!

No comments: